January 22, 2009


So a couple of days ago. My boss took everyone out for a Chinese New Year dinner. Functions like these makes me realize how I cannot use chop sticks under pressure and that it is awkward when you do not know how to speak Chinese. It occurred to me that I really need to learn Chinese because I love to talk and not being able to talk to the secretaries really bothers me. One of the secretaries can speak some English and I asked her if all my students tell her how mean I am. She said Yes But it is good to be feared(this is exactly why I love asking questions like this because of the language barrier she has to tell the truth). This brings up another side story. Yesterday I made my first Asian child cry. This is one of my problem students and I finally got after her. She didn't realize how she was acting. She quickly shaped up and I felt so bad for getting after her so I did what I thought was best. A hug. After this incident I went directly to the owner of the school. I told her about the situation and she said I am proud of you and she gave me a hug. She also said "I so happy because I didn't have to do it." By this story everyone is probably thinking man she is mean. I m really not I just feel like when my Asian mother came to me and gave me the worst class in the school. She also told me to be firm and she slapped her hand. I felt like Im just whipping some of those children into shape. My boss is really the sweetest woman. But the children fear her. I really would love to know what is really going on. I wonder if she is making threats to the children like "If you be no good I send you to china". The other day I walked by her office and one of the students was standing and had their hands towards the ceiling. I just kept thinking I wonder what she is going to do if I misbehave as a teacher? Watching how this school does discipline makes me think how would american schools be if you were still allowed to beat the children. I I did however feel adventurous with eating. Here I am eating a pork ear. It is not as bad as I thought it would be. I also ate little deep fried fish, chicken, more fish, meat balls, pork, and when it was all said and done. Mango custard. I forgot to mention amazingly good shrimp grilled right on the table. They kept bring out dish after dish and they have what I would like to refer to as a turn table so everyone can grab the food. One thing I have definitely learned is that Asians really eat a lot and expect you to as well. Sherry (my boss) said you must try everything. I did not hesitate at all. I also told her that I probably could eat anything as long as it was deep fried. I figure that this weekend I am going to be going on home visits to meet some of my students parents. Being Chinese New year there is probably going to be a lot of food that I am not used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Background

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter