January 10, 2009


So I have been living in Taiwan for well over a week and I am enjoying every minute of it. I love how different it is and the temples they have everywhere. Every time I leave my apartment I am approached by someone trying to talk to me. Which is very funny because everyone of my roommates want the people to just come up to them so they can speak Chinese but for some reason they go right up to me. I just kindly smile. Because lets face it I don't know Chinese and I would hate to offend anyone. I ride my bike everywhere in the madness of the morning rush hour. I am in the midst of scooters and cars at a six ways stop. They smile at me and give me a thumbs up. I also believe that the Chinese people are very concerned about my health. I had two men in a mini van flag me down and tell me I think that I need to wear a jacket and a mask. Because of the pollution. The thing about living in a foreign country and not knowing the language is that I always feel like I am playing sharades. It is quite funny because the Asians just love Americans. A man in the grocery store ran after me to say hello to me and say come back soon. It is quite funny because I have now come to that point that I really don't notice that everyone is staring at us. Until they directly point at me. I went to carefour(It is pretty much wal-mart on steroids with out the white trash) yesterday and this woman followed me and I was taste tasting all of these foods and she just kept talking to me in Chinese. I just kept saying ok. Teaching English to Chinese kids would have to be the most entertaining thing. I find myself continually repeating back the phrases to even myself. One of my kindergartners said to me Teacher Hanna you have crazy hair. I couldn't even say anything to that because my hair is really out of control. Now I have curly hair and I just don't know what to do about it. So I'm sure I look really hot on my bike with my afro and my pollution mask on. This is also the girl who looked down my shirt which II also teach a fourth grade class and I am sure that they are smarter than me. The owner of the school is always worried that I am going to catch a cold she keeps asking me if I am cold and if I need warmer cloths. Oh and as you can see I have a new sexy rain jump suit. I wore this out on the town one night because my roommates dared me and lets face it the Asian people were going to stare at me anyways I figured they would get a laugh and they might be blinded by the reflectors on the back. What do you know an Asian man followed me into the food place and kept saying hello. This must be a Asian man magnet. I mean who doesn't like a man with betel nut stained teeth. Anyways the people are so nice here I am going to have to learn some Chinese. Especially if they are going to keep coming up to me. I have yet to do any sight seeing because I am so busy getting curriculum together but I am looking forward to the Chinese New Year. Its going to be a party!

2 comments:

  1. Anyway to get one of those sexy-mancatcher rain suits sent to the states? Laura and I could figure out how to make our own and then mass manufacture them and sell them. We could cut you in on the deal. Think it over. P.S. I don't think your hair is the least bit crazy, more like highly attractive I would say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to comment from the minute I read this; however, I wanted to have enough time to do my comment justice. We'll see how this goes...

    I was peeing my pants with laughter when I thought of you jumblin' along on your bike and all of these Asians just giving you the thumbs up sign. You have always had a way with charming the ethnic populations. I'm reminded of the time I went to lunch with you to Bajio (our first lunch together) the Macho Mexican behind the counter made that taco pizza with extra tender loving care!

    How is the food treating you? Dane has been eating lots of pregnant fish. And you?

    Don't spare me any of the details!

    ReplyDelete

Background

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter