April 11, 2009

Lost in Translation

We just switched teachers and I started teaching the kids in gym and I have had the children dancing for gym class and this group loves it. This class knows some basic English but some of the students just act out what they are trying to say usually saying "he and a she a" ...... So I started teaching them in Shop and one of the students said teacher, "Teacher Adam says you (and then the girl starts to belly dance and then she says you do and then she mimics lifting up her shirt and then she puts her hand out and rubs her fingers together). (Above are some random pictures of some of my students) I am laughing so hard because not only was she doing this while explaining the whole class is doing this. I am thinking do these children think I strip for money. Because if someone who can read body language came in and did some observing and asked so what does Teacher Hanna they would definitely get a different picture. I said have you seen me do this? All of the kids say yeah! "You do" "You do" by the end of class we are just laughing so hard and I am telling them no I don't dance like that I only know the maceraina and the cha cha the dances I have taught you. I just thought if someone was just to walk in the class watch what these kids were explaining they really would think that I dance for money. I said think I need to talk to teacher Adam. I then asked him so guess what group two is telling me. He immediately said oh I said to the students it will be really funny to say shake your money maker. I then told him the story and I said I wonder what our students tell their parents? The by far has been the most entertaining day of teaching so far. One thing I have learned is always get both sides of the stories especially if English is your second language.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Background

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter