August 9, 2009

Typhoon

Well in Taiwan I experienced my first typhoon. So the typhoon hit quite some time ago I'm a little late on the uptake. Morakot did quite the damage to Taiwan. It killed around 500 people. Most of those people were buried by a landslide. It was very sad. My direct experience with the typhoon was this. All I knew was that school was canceled for one day. Which meant that me and my roommates headed for the grocery store for some food. Mainly because we didn't know what to expect. This was the busiest I have ever seen this store. One man came out of the store with huge cases of beer smiling and saying typhoon! typhoon! typhoon! The Taiwanese take this very seriously. Meaning they are prepared and it seemed that everyone was loving it. Probably because it meant a day off from work and school where they could just watch TV(the Taiwanese love TV) their house might look like a dump but they usually are sporting a plasma TV. When I saw the man with all the alcohol I kept thinking well what kind of supplies are we really going to need. So of course I immediately thought chocolate is going to be a necessity. When I was done shopping and waiting in the longest line ever. Looking at all that I purchased it looked as if I just have major munchies. I had chips fruit tea and chocolate. I was definitely going to survive this typhoon. Before the typhoon hit the winds were so crazy and I did go outside for a second because I thought I was going to go crazy. The security guard shook there head at me when I headed out. Our windows were really shaky and you would occasionally hear the shattering of windows. After the wind stopped it was so weird because there was a mist that went on for a while then we had some major rainfall. I think one of the days it was around 20 inches. Parts of our neighborhood flooded. We were inside for a total of three days which I thought I was going to go crazy I have never watched that many movies before. My main concern was that I was going to experience bed sores I felt so confined to my bed. Which I am happy to report that there were no bed sores and I was so excited to actually go to work.



2 comments:

  1. Hanna if the Taiwanese love their tv so much you really should think about pitching The Lifetime Movie Network to Taiwan. I am telling you, 3 days stuck inside with Taiwan style Lifetime would seem like no time at all. Even if you did get bedsores you wouldn't care because you would be watching movies dealing with eating disorders and betrayal. We could make millions (I say 'we' because of course I will come to Taiwan and we will write the movie scripts together and cast the shows). Let me know what you think. Love ya! (I think you tried to call me today but things went awry).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to know you survived the typhoon!

    ReplyDelete

Background

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter