July 10, 2009

My Little Asians

I am nearing the end of teaching in Taiwan and I have been behind in blogging. So I might back track a little in the posts to come. I have been teaching the basic reading class. It is quite the experience. I have worked pretty much everyday with these kids and now I get them all to myself. Which can be a great thing and a bad thing. My students say the funniest things. For example "teacher may I touch you". Then ask this because I don't have the greatest circulation so sometimes my skin turns red/purple. So they love to grab me. One of my students will just call me over to say teacher I need help( when he really doesn't). While I am teaching him my mad manuscript skills. He immediately grabs my arms and starts staring. I have to remind him to watch how I write the letters. This is also the student that goes into the splits on a daily basis(in his chair). I have to say Frank stop doing the splits in your chair and sit the right way.
Then there is Yoyo one day we were in the kitchen and we were talking about what would happen if we didn't cut our hair? All the boys said "then we would look like girls". Yoyo said and like MJ! He then jumped out of his chair and started singing beat it and doing what looks like a MJ dance. I couldn't help but laugh hysterically. He also occasionally swears which I really don't mind because it makes me laugh every time. I really bring this out in my students mainly because I entertain them and they entertain me. He also is the only one that catches if I swear in class. He will usually laugh like a little girl and say Teacher. I love teaching this age.
Then there is Rolland one of the oddest little Asians I have worked with. He usually is in his own little world. All the sudden he will stand up and start swinging his arms in the air and starts karate chopping the air. I just stare wondering if he is noticing that he has an audience watching. One time we were playing a game where we think of as many words as we as we can that start with a certain letter. Well the letter was "S" and of coarse one students said "Shit" I said ok and just didn't write it on the board. Then Rolland came up to me. He whispered in my ear "teacher and spells S A R S then quickly says SARS" I start to laugh and said very good. I mean these little Asians are well aware of what is going on in the world. I mean I was looking for more of the words like sun or stop but wait to think out side the box. I just couldn't wait until we got to the letter "h" I was waiting for one of them to say H1N1. Well Rolland is a very smart kid. He loves to just come up to me while I'm at my desk and say the most random things. He also tells me to go to Sherry everyday like I am introuble.
Then there is Andy he loves to talk about how one time this died and then that died etc... I think it might be because of the age. His typical response to all of my stories are "I have seen(with of course a head nod)". I always say Andy what have you seen? He usually responds ok ok. Andy is the one that reminds me of the boy off of Indiana Jones. I sometimes can get him to say "Dr. Jones". I love it.
Then there is the girls. They are the talkers. I usually have to say ok teachers turn to talk.
Ella is so adorable she is my favorite. She also reminds me when I am leaving to go back to America. She then will say teacher you should stay I will miss you. Then she says I will cry. She also reminds me that I can stay. But then I remind her that Rae Rae misses me. My students very much so want to meet Grandma Rae Rae.
Ella will say every 2 seconds say teacher I tell you something. This story usually consists of how her brother is so mean to her. Cindy is full of energy and a lot of fun. Then there is Minnie she will put you in your place. She is a very smart girl she is 6 going on 30.

Cindy and Rolland(aka Rolley Poley or Ruler)
Amily she is adorable but sometimes shy
Here is Frank in his signature pose the splits
Emerson the backwards hugger
Minnie and Duncan always up in my business
Yoyo (aka Yoyo Ma) about to hit Andy in the face
Andy telling teacher that I am crazy
Rolley Polely, Cindy and Amily
Me and Miss Ella
Afternoon Basic Reading

Evening Basic Reading Class
The boys are crazy and out of control. I love it.

The Boys
The Girls

Well I have taught these little Asian nuggets for a year solid. So I am very much attached. I am going to miss them so much. I have learned a lot and had some amazing experiences living in Taiwan. I get teary eyed thinking about leaving them. But it is time to move on to the next adventure. They have promised that they will write to me and if they come to America they will visit me. I can honestly say that I have the cutest students alive. These little Asians will always have a place in my heart.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Background

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter