September 13, 2009

Dogs of Taiwan

So here in Taiwan there are two classes of dogs. High class where dogs are carried as if their legs are going to break. Then there is the low class where the dogs look like they are from a third world country and that they have had one too many litters(they could use a spaying and neutering program over here). One day I was headed out to get some food and there was a woman with what looked like a small stroller. I thought to myself maybe she is crazy and has a baby doll in there. There is no possible way a chubby Asian baby could fit in there. I of course had to check it out. To my surprise it was a dog stroller with a fluffy white dog. I asked some locals is this normal behavior? I mean I know that the majority of dogs that I see have short legs. There is nothing funnier than watching a wiener dog running down the street. I was told that a lot of people are not having children so instead they just get a dog. I also told him that I think the Taiwanese might have felt bad about eating dogs earlier so they are just making up for it now. They care a lot about the safety and well being of their dogs I mean who cares about if their child has a helmet on but as for the family dog. Safety first! In 2004 Taiwan banned the selling/eating of dog meat. But don't you worry one of my students parents said they still have it you just have to request it. I think this parent was a little confused because earlier he asked me if I liked dogs? I said oh yes I love dogs. I guess next time if I am asked if I like dogs. I will ask as a pet or to eat?

2 comments:

  1. hahaha oh how funny!!! Love reading of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hanna, I say if asked to try dog go ahead. You know what they say "when in Taiwan," or is it "What happens in Taiwan, stays in Taiwan." I guess the second is true unless you contract rabies from eating dog and then bring it home with you in which case "what is contracted in Taiwan is subsequently brought home to the states with you."

    ReplyDelete

Background

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter