February 23, 2009

The Big Ass Market and Then Some

This weekend was full of events. On Friday we had our super student night to McDonald's. This is were the really good students get their chance to go eat and play. The parents come along and watch as you basically get their child to speak in English while stuffing their face with fries and chicken nuggets. The group that I was in charge of was quite entertaining. On your left is Eric and Engine. Eric the one on the left reminds me of my nephew Shane. Mostly because was very much concerned about eating enough food like he was going to starve. I of coarse didn't have a problem with them not talking it was more of okay you need to eat then we can talk. They also wanted to eat all of my food. They were more concerned that I might not finish mine so the students pretty much ate most of my meal. When my food was brought out to me the kids just kept saying "so good teacher so good" I of coarse shared my meal. I would hate for the little Taiwanese children to be left out of having a fully loaded fatty meal. As you can see the picture on your right this is Yo Yo I also like to refer to him as Yo Yo Ma just because I can. Here he is about to karate chop me for some fries so I willingly obliged. I actually asked him if I could take his picture but he said only if it looked like a cool picture apparently he has an image to uphold at such an early age.

On Saturday Rebeckah, Adam, Molly and I went to a movie and the night market. I also had my first experience riding on a scooter in traffic which is quite the experience. As the picture shows my little Taiwanese friend and me on the back I felt like at any moment I could throw off her balance if I moved but don't let those tiny Asians fool you. They have quite the leg strength I would have to say it is the result of using squat toilets I mean doing squats really strengthens your legs. Before heading to the movies we stopped by the gas station. After she filled up the scooter Molly said that the gas attendants watch out for you. I said what if someone said that in America they would be considered a stalker. Asians are really nice they are always concerned for you safety. We went to the movies and at the theater they have assigned seating. You are also allowed to take any type of food into the theater. I was informed as soon as the movie starts we switch seats. It was so enjoyable to watch a movie it seemed like it had been so long. I enjoyed it so much that the next day I went again and because it is 140 Taiwanese dollars which ends up being a little more than 4 american dollars you cannot beat that. After the movie we decided to go to the night market. When Molly was telling us which one we were going to Rebeckah and I thought that she said we will now go to the Big Ass market. I started to immediately laugh. Molly seemed really confused. I then tried to explain the word Big Ass. This was quite a comical moment in the evening pointing to my dairy air and saying big. Molly laughed really hard about it. She said it is Asslan Night Market it is the biggest market in Changhua. I then said well I'm just going to call it the big ass market because I feel that I enjoy swearing when ever I can. When we got to the night market it was a challenge trying to find parking. Look at the crazy photo below. When we arrived I kinda felt like everyone was staring which they were but sometimes I get used to it then I realize we stick out like a sore thumb. First of all we are white and I have what some might consider red hair.I mean my roommates Rebeckah and Adam are over six feet tall which is nice because I can always find them. The funny thing is when people do the double take and you can tell that they are trying to get the rest of their family to see us. It was crowded and pretty much Molly and I linked up because we are on the average height and if I was going to get lost in the crowd it would be with her because I could understand her. We tried a wide variety of foods and desserts. I also had an Asian man totally stop look directly down my shirt and walk on. The thing about Asian men is they are not sly at all there is no hiding about it. Just for the record it was not a low shirt. I really just thought to myself that was hilarious. The one of the best part about hanging out with Molly is is that she tells you what other people are saying and she asks a lot of funny questions. For example she asked about the phrase If you were a booger I would pick you first. I laughed for a bit then said it just is a funny way to say your their favorite. During the night market we also saw some Asian card tricks. The guy had a lot of his friends hanging out behind him. So I asked Molly so is this like his Asian paucy/peeps? She said what does that mean? I then explained you know like his friends or his people. She laughed and said yes. I figured I will teach Molly the slang and she just might teach me some Chinese swear words. I figure its a win win situation at best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Background

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter