February 17, 2009

Cingjing Farm

Yeah that's right. I came all the way to Taiwan to see a sheep farm. My friend Molly called me the day before and said would you like to go to a farm? I said what? she replied just say yes. So like a loyal friend I said yes. I was also curious what would an Asian farm consist of? So Molly, Colin, Jerry, Janae and I headed out for Cingjing Farm. I was very excited because I felt like this was my opportunity to learn more Chinese. I was a little nervous hanging out with my new Taiwanese friends because I didn't know how much English they knew. After knowing Colin for a total of 5 minutes he said "will you give me name". I said that I would have to think about a name for him because he requested that his new name would start with the letter M. I gave him a lot of options like Michael, Mathew, Macgyver I was secretly hoping that he would choose Macgyver. I said you should switch it up I will call you different name every so often and if "you no like" we'll get rid of it.
The farm was way up in the mountains and it was kinda chilly. I feel like the saying another mans trash is another mans treasure is appropriate. We hiked up to pretty much the top of Taiwan which was beautiful. The sheep would just follow you demanding food. When we arrived I noticed that everyone had a camera with a tripod. When we bought our tickets my friend Molly was talking to the ticket office. I could tell that she was trying to get a discount because she kept saying megorian(American). Lets just say I was the only whitey on the mountain that day. While touring the evergreen grasslands(Cingjing) I noticed something different about cultures. Asians don't mind just taking pictures of just themselves. However I am not accustomed to this. Molly kept saying I will take your picture. I said I don't do the solo Asian picture thing. However I did take more solo pictures than I usually do. I think Molly would have to be the funniest person I know. We have the same sense of humor and she is willing to do outrageous funny pictures which I adore. Colin and Jerry said that Molly and I have the same personalities. Colin then said "you twins". I then said except she is the cute tiny Asian girl and I'm the red headed step child. They all laughed and said "you so funny" when Asians laugh it always takes me off guard. Because I am usually not ready for it. The high pitched giggling and the covering of the mouth really throws me off. I think the high light of the day would definitely have had to have be the sheep shearing show. My new friends Colin, Jerry and Janae kept asking "do you know" I instantly said Oh ya. Even though I cannot understand Chinese I get the just of whats going on. It was like sea world shamoo but with sheep. We watched the man blow a whistle and the dogs chasing after the sheep running down the steep hills. And then the highlight of the performance would definitely be the shearing of the sheep by an Asian cowboy. It was quite the eventful day. Since it was Valentines day Colin decided to asked "what type am I". That is the thing about Asians they ask questions that most Americans wouldn't dare ask. Like how many boyfriends have you had? What went wrong in your last relationship. I quickly responded I am not sure I would have to say A or B positive of coarse. He immediately said No type of she. I said I'm not really into that.(I knew exactly what he was asking but Asians get he/she mixed up so I just kept going with it) I said well my type of guy would have to be nice and caring towards others(I find myself trying to model appropriate English but most of the time I find myself speaking chinglish). Colin said how tall. Well I would have to say at least taller than me. He then told me that in Taiwan you are very tall. I replied with well that's the first time anyone has called me that. Being around my Asian friends listening to them speak made me feel like I could understand what they were saying. When Molly dropped me off one of guys were outside and started talking to me in Chinese I understood everything he was saying. He was inviting me up to his apartment for tea. I immediately responded with boo yao shae shae(no thank you). I was a little taken back by me actually responding and understanding the language and refusing a perfectly good cup of tea.

2 comments:

  1. I'm laughing so hard right now! I thought that when the person asked you out for tea you said, "Boo Yeah!" Like, let's do this thing. Funny.

    Also, you are very tall? Good thing I'm not over there because I would frighten all of the petite asians away! I'm probably as big as that cow! How big is that thing anyway! It seems abnormally big.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi...I found your blog by random search about Cingjing. Do you still remember the showtime of the sheep shearing? Is it only on weekends? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Background

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter