February 3, 2009

Taipei and the Brothels






A day later Leslie and I decided to go back for some more fun. So we packed our overnight bags and headed out for Taipei. We then got standing tickets yet again. But we got some good standing seats. We had to fight off a couple of Asians for them but it was well worth it. We arrived and went to the hotel and went shopping and did some site seeing. We went to a couple of temples and it was very interesting to watch what was going on. There was a lot of chanting and lots of smoke. At the Lonshan Temple we met Mavis this girl kept looking at me and I could tell she really wanted to talk to me. I also noticed her brother had on what I would call a dog carrier sling. In Asia mens standards of what they wear are quite different. I don't think that I have seen so many foofy dogs in slings and man purses apparently they have no shame or they are very comfortable in their sexuality. Asian men definitely have different standards they wear pea coats, have better hair styles and look better than some of the other women. I really didn't understand what was going on in the temple so Mavis told me what was up and I recorded her so check it out. They also leave food or other things that they might think that the gods might need in heaven. In observing what they were giving to the gods. It looks like the gods have munchies and some bad breath. I noticed that there was a shrine of chocolate pies and a lot of chewing gum for bad breath. That's right that is exactly what it said on the package. I thought to myself now if god has bad breath don't you think we should give him a toothbrush and some Colgate all whitening toothpaste. I mean come on lets fix the halitosis not cover it up. One thing that I found interesting is that things that the people give to the gods live food, money etc is things that they need in the next life. I saw a wide variety of things that they burn like paper I pods, paper scooters, paper cars etc. I am thoroughly enjoying how different the culture and customs are here in Taiwan. After going to the temple we continued shopping. Down an alley way there were a lot of old antiques. So everything looked authentic which to me means really old. Then I started to look closer and it was kama sutra. I was a little surprised and confused because it looked like two girls and because I for some reason thought that Asians were a little on the conservative side. Then I started to look around and noticed most of the people were men on the street. I later found out that this area at one time was a brothel and it didn't close to long ago.
We stayed in a hotel that was quite luxurious. It had a huge flat screen TV and slippers and such. We also had a complementary breakfast that was included. The first day Leslie and I got up to get some breakfast. We enter the cafe and there is salad, noodles, some type of cabbage, potato salad and some toast. We were both a little on the disappointed side because first we got up early thinking that it might consist of bacon, sausage, eggs, biscuits and gray. But that is probably why Asians are so skinny because they are havin lettuce, noodles and some toast for breakfast. While the Americans are livin it up consumin those calories which is probably why there is an obesity problem. I just figure go big or go home. On the way home we took the slow train to Changhua. We had sitting seats I figured we did a lot of walking we deserved to sit. However if I would have known who was going to be seating next to me I might of had second thoughts. It was an older very traditional man. Long beard long pinky nails which they are not snorting cocaine don't worry about it they are just bringing honor to their family by using it to pick their noses. Well the man started belching really loud. Which you get used to but it was so gross because every time he burped I felt like I just ate sloppy seconds of what every he was eating. Thank goodness he was only on for an hour. I don't think I could have made it much longer. The next person would just turn and stare. I couldn't even tell if this was a man or women. I could tell that they really wanted to talk to me. She/he turned and said whats up? I said nothing much just riding the slow train. He/she continued to think of things that he/she could ask. I noticed they quickly pulled out a notebook and started to ask me questions like whats your favorite color? Where are you from? Can you teach me English? Of coarse I reply all of the questions accordingly and the last one i said well I am still trying to master that one. I then told her that it would be breaking my contract. He then wrote what is your phone number? I told him I don't know which is true and then he asked for an email so I gave it to he/she and he/she said love ya. I felt like this was one of the most awkward moments in my life. But I figure there is only more to come.


1 comment:

  1. Hanna, when you responded to the he/she that you were just "taking the slow train" did you mean that like Angela on the Office means the slow train from Philly? (And by that she means slut.)

    ReplyDelete

Background

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter