March 13, 2009

COSTCOS

Well I just have to tell about how I went to Taichung to costco. The Taiwanese love "costcos". When listening to the Chinese I immediately know they are talking about costco because it sticks right out except it is in a slightly higher pitch and they add a s to the end of the word. One of my students brought tree house fruit snacks for everyone. I immediately asked were did you get that? He said costcos. I kept wanting to go to costco and had some intense cravings for a churro. My class and I even talked about costco and about the things that you can buy which is pretty much the same stuff as in America. I also taught them about what a churro is. Molly, Sarah and I went and did some shopping. It was like a entering a maze riding an escalator around the building until you enter and costco is definitely the place to be. Everyone is in a hurry and they have samples. The only different about costco in Asia is apparently the Asians like their samples. They have ropes guiding you in lines which can get pretty long. But the longest line was at the food court to get me some churros. While in the line I kept passing a mother and a little girl. The girl refused to even look at me. I could tell this was your typical situation. Pushy Asian mother trying to get her little girl to say hello to the Megorn(American). I would just glance and say hi and wave not to fully traumatize the child. I mean if I was a little Asian child I probably would hate Americans just on the basis of my parents making me speak to every American that you see. I felt that the mother was doing enough. But by the end of the line the girl kept talking to me and would not shut up. There is nothing more enjoyable than a fattening churro. After costco we went to some Asians house where Janae and Colin cooked us dinner which was delicious. We then had our palms read. Which Molly translated. The woman told me that I have two Confucius eyes symbolizing that I am very smart. My friend Molly then asked her when will she marry. The woman said I cannot even see a marriage line yet. She will have a very good life and she will have a happy family. The woman said that I was her first forgein that she has read. She also commented on how white my palms are. After our readings Colin said you want bowling. I said sure why not. While bowling I noticed a few differences between cultures. One is Asians take bowling very seriously they stretch and are very in to it. They also are not loud like Americans. I mean when someone got a strike I was cheering giving high fives I even told Colin he had to do a victory dance if he got a strike and as you can see willingly conformed. All in all its never a dull day in Asia.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't there normally an "s" on the end of costcos? Maybe not, but I always liked to think so. Could it be that I myself am Asian without knowing it?

    ReplyDelete

Background

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter