March 16, 2009

Lukang

On Sunday Sarah and I went on a home visit with Minnie and Ella. My favorite students they are 5 going on 20. They are the funniest little girls. Every morning we sing whats the weather song. We then decide is it rainy is it sunny is it stormy. The girls decided that every morning they would rate my hair based on the craziness. Some days are better than others. Ella will always say how do you get your hair so crazy? I then explain to her in detail how I ride my bike in traffic and this is how my hair gets so curly/crazy. She is always amazed. She also said that her brother would not like me because I am too crazy. I simply replied to her man your brother is a fun hater. She said yeah I know. The thing about teaching small children English you have to play dumb like you don't know how to do anything. Like for example the picture to the right is me pretending that I have no clue how to pump water. I knew this was going to be the only way Minnie would be in the picture. Minnie who is five, and her mom and cousin picked us up and we headed to Lukang. Minnie's mom does not speak any English and so Minnie was the interpreter. It is a very old town. We went to the Lukang Folk Art Museum which had some pretty cool stuff. Like Chinese clothing, old ancient writings and old opium smoking pipes. I couldn't help but look at this display it also had an old photo of an Asian man passed out on a couch with the words in English saying Addict. I was so surprised how Minnie was doing going through a museum and being so patient. We then met up with Ella at the Lukang Long-Shan Temple which she kept saying teacher Hanna So good so good. The girls were so excited that we just kept spinning around and around. I introduced myself to Ella's family and her mom said we know all about you. I kind of got worried because who knows what she says. She said you are so fun! Ella's mom kept saying that she has been so excited and that she even couldn't sleep last night because she was so happy. I noticed that her brother was there I was on strict instructions from a 6 year old to not scare her brother. So I made sure to not make any sudden movements around the boy. Ella immediately said Teacher Hanna your hair looks so good today. I said thank you Ella. We checked out the 300 year old temple which the girls sad it really old teacher. Ella and Minnie were so excited we just held hands and walked down narrow alley's packed with people and they also requested that we sing jingle bells and she'll be coming round the mountain when she comes. We had a lot of looks and smiles. We went to some Asian toy stores and we also blew bubbles. It was a very eventful day. The next day they kept talking about it and how they wanted to go back to yesterday. With the girls it is never a dull moment. I talk to them like they are grown ups and they love it. They say teacher you so crazy and I like it!

2 comments:

  1. How fun! That's cute that a 5 year old was your translator. What a great time you are having, still jealous. And keep that hair under control will you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Han!! So glad you have a blog so I can keep track of you. I don't have one yet, but will keep you posted.  What is your email, because I don't think you have a phone anymore.  (send me a note, pls  melissaballard03@yahoo.com)You look great and I can tell you are having an amazing, life changing time. 

    ReplyDelete

Background

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter