March 14, 2009

Happy Cows Also Live in Taiwan

Saturday I went to a dairy farm. We were greeted by the Asian farmer and he even gave us a complimentary bottle of milk to feed the baby cows. We bottle fed the cows watched them eat and do their thing. Then the farmer taught us about the cows and how many he owns, how to take care of them and how to milk them. I kept thinking to myself I hope we don't have to milk the cow. Of coarse the next thing he said was you need to try. I tried milking a cow and I am not going to become a dairy farmer anytime soon and I am glad that we pay people to do such services as this. He also insisted that we taste the milk. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. He then came and talked to us more about the farm and he said I make yogurt myself. We then had mango ice cream on a overcast and cold day. I really felt like we were breaking some Asian rules. Mainly because My six year old students have told me that you cannot eat anything cold in the winter because you will get sick and you will die. This is why we get along so well. They tell it like it is. Did I mention at the farm that we also ate milk bread and other goodies with the milk. Lets just say I had more milk that day than I have had the whole time in Taiwan. We also saw a deformed cow that was off to the side. Apparently the Taiwanese do not believe in freak shows. It looked like this cow ran into the wall. After the farm we went to Ivy's house and played Wii for a long time then watched a movie and ate pizza. I guess the family really liked us because the home visit was suppose to be four hours and ended up being 11 1/2 hours. They invited us to come over and play Wii anytime we want. Did I also mention that I might be lactose?

2 comments:

  1. Hanna, you have to be careful if you are lactose intolerant. You don't want to be on a home visit to a dairy farm and have a case of IBS, if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete

Background

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter